In the Engagement Multiplier platform, we invite business owners to write in their own custom questions for their employees – prompting the frequently-asked question: What types of employee survey questions should I ask?
That is a very good question.
Unless you have a specific area of concern in mind already (maybe something you’d like to drill down into further from a previous survey), we recommend focusing on key business topics that are relevant to your business right now.
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
- Do our company culture and events represent the diversity of our workforce?
- Do you feel like our company seeks diversity when considering new hires and promotions?
- How can we improve diversity, equity, and inclusion in our workplace?
Perceptions of your brand
Does our brand reflect our company culture, ethos, and Engaged Purpose?
Opinions on strategy
- You are the boss – what is the one thing we should stop doing right now to improve our business?
- What is one thing we should start doing right now to improve our business?
- Do you have a clear understanding of the company’s strategic direction?
- On a scale of 1-10, how much do you agree with this statement? “There is good teamwork across all departments.”
- Do you feel connected to work and colleagues, regardless of physical distance?
- Do you feel involved in our company culture?
- On a scale of 1-10, how much do you agree with this statement? “Communication in our organization is generally honest and open.”
- Does your team communicate effectively with each other?
Recruitment & retention
- What do you think the main reason is why people leave the company?
- What do you think the main reason is why people stay at the company?
- What method would you prefer to pass on new ideas:
- Anonymous communication
- Group meetings
- Anonymous suggestion box
- One-on-one meetings
- Do you have any ideas on how we can improve our internal processes?
- Do you think the company makes it easy to contribute ideas on how to improve what the company does and how it does it?
- What additional training would help you do your work better, or help you advance?
- Do you feel like you regularly develop new skills and capabilities?
- What is the most common customer complaint?
- The most common compliment?
- Is your workspace at home comfortable to work in?
- Are you able to keep clear boundaries between the workday and your personal time?
- Do you think the company measures remote employee performance fairly?
Health & safety
Are there any areas or issues that cause you concern?
Leadership & management
- On a scale of 1-10, how much do you agree with this statement? “My manager’s style motivates me to do my best.”
- Do you feel that your manager trusts you to do your job?
- Does your manager provide you with regular feedback?
- On a scale of 1-10, how much do you agree with this statement? “The amount of work I have is manageable.”
- Is your work is enjoyable and satisfying?
- Do you understand what you are accountable for within the company?
Now, don’t ask all of your questions at once! That would be a very long survey indeed. Choose a theme to work on, a specific area for focused improvement, where you can make real progress within the next 90 days. Then you can use your custom employee survey questions to get more insight into that issue or to check if you improved in a specific area from the last survey.
Do you have a question on questions? Ask our employee engagement experts! We’ll send you an entire sheet of suggestions, or we can give you custom recommendations based on your goals.